Old Building

The Founding of Ross Reformed Church

On January 27th, 1930, Rev. H. Vander Ploeg met with the members of the church at Ross to determine if this small congregation would like to become part of the Reformed Church in America. Up until this time, a group of people from different denominational backgrounds had been sharing a little building at 4790 Noble Street, gathering together on Sundays for worship. Ministers of the Moody Bible Institute served this church from 1918 to 1929. A motion was made and carried in favor of Ross becoming a part of the RCA.

On November 6th, 1930, the congregation and friends of Ross Church met to organize this small congregation as an official church of the Reformed Church in America. Twenty six people were present, 15 were members of this church in good standing; the entire congregation was received into this new church by confession of faith. Charter members had names of Lohman, Jansen, Koedyker, Niles, and Kaluf. Family members of charter members still attend Ross today; some families having 5 generations who were raised in this church.

On the Move

Rev. Raymond Beckering was called to be the first pastor of Ross, installed in 1934 and serving until 1940. During his time a parsonage was built next to the little church on Noble Street that still stands today. A small portable school was purchased and used for Sunday School and social events.

By the mid 1940’s the congregation had grown to the point that the building was no longer big enough to accommodate all church activities. In December 1948, a building committee of 3 was appointed to decide whether to build an annex to the original building or a new building all together. Money had been raised by the Building Fund Committee in 1944 for such a purpose. In April of 1950, the church accepted an offer of 3 acres of land at 41st and Whitcomb for a new church building; adjacent property was purchased making the plot about 8 acres. Ground was broken March 20, 1951, with a lot of the work being done by volunteers. The congregation dedicated the new building on May 27, 1953.

After the new building was completed, a parsonage was built in 1958 along with the bus garage. Later, a softball field, picnic pavilion and playgrounds were added to the property. If you visit the grounds today, you will often find people of all ages enjoying themselves.

What Does the Future Hold?

In 2010, Ross celebrated its 80th Anniversary. While much of the year was spent celebrating all that God had done at Ross over the last 80 years, there was also a lot happening that focused on the future. Many were wondering where God was leading the church. What became evident is that God was leading Ross to become more active in their neighborhood. So the church added Community to their name to reflect their renewed focus on being a community church.

Through the years, Ross Community Reformed Church has sought to minister to all persons as it presents the unchanging Gospel of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We see ourselves as a part of the community where we are located, and pray that all will rejoice and give thanks to God for His grace and mercy.

Facebook

Check us out on facebook

Latest News

The monthly Ross newsletter

Latest Sermons

Listen to our latest sermons